Saturday, July 21, 2012

Super Secret Spice Mix


What do you think of the fancy new blog design? I'm pretty happy with it. So I celebrated by eating WAY too much bread, dipped in some olive oil and my super secret spice mix. I was going to call this my super simple secret spice mix, but I thought that might be a little too much alliteration, even for me!

No matter what you call it, this is probably my favorite mix of spices to use on anything from meat, vegetables, eggs, or - my favorite -  as a dipping sauce for crusty bread. It's reminiscent of Italian seasoning, but has some other flavors too.

Perhaps it has been a secret until now, but I'm prepared to share my recipe with you lovely folks. Because, really, just look at that picture. Doesn't it make you hungry? 

Also, it's very, very easy. Just dump some spices together, and voila! A versatile spice mix has magically appeared. Yum!


Here are the spices I use: salt, oregano, basil, black pepper, parsley, sage, thyme, red pepper flakes, dill, and nutmeg. Quite a collection, don't you think?


If you want to use it as a dipping oil, just put some of the spice mix in a small bowl and pour a good quality olive oil on top. Perfection!


Super Secret Spice Mix

1 T. dried oregano
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. dried rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. dried dill weed
pinch nutmeg

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.



If you enjoyed this post, you'll also like Perfect Pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment