Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cardinals and Titmice and Chickadees, Oh My!


My camera isn't very good, but I had to share a few pictures of birds I've caught enjoying the two new feeders my roommate and I put up. They hang on a tree conveniently in view of my window, so I can study and watch birds at the same time! (Or procrastinate, more like...) The bigger birds, like this gorgeous female cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis), prefer my roommate's feeder, which has a flat, steady tray. 


Others, like this colorful little tufted titmouse (Baelophus bicolor), are small enough to take advantage of my sturdy tube feeder. Don't they seem to have very large eyes? I've been getting a bigger variety of birds lately, I think because I switched seed. The mix I'm currently using is a little more expensive, but it has peanuts and dried fruit, as well as the normal mix of sunflower seeds, niger, millet, etc. The high-fat peanuts and delicious fruit seems to attract even more birds!


Finally, a little black-capped chickadee (Poecile atricapillus), my favorite songbird! There have been two or three hanging around, but they're so hard to capture on camera because they are so fast! We've also spotted a bunch of house sparrows and one very fat mourning dove.

Maybe someday I'll get a better camera so I can share some decent pictures of my feathered friends!


If you liked this post, you might also like Welcome to the Aviary

No comments:

Post a Comment