Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dive-Bombing Bluebirds

Everyone loves bluebirds. Or at least, everyone I've ever met. They're very pretty, with an attractive song, and they will happily nest close to your home if you provide them with a site. Of course, one could argue that there are many other underappreciated songbirds that are far more interesting, but for the sake of this post let's just focus on the admittedly beautiful Eastern Bluebird, America's darling.

Sialia sialis, the Eastern Bluebird


Sadly, this is not my own photo, but rather was borrowed from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website. If you love birds, go to this site, because it is amazing.

Okay, I'm done with my shameless promotions.

Isn't the male bluebird spectacular? With that striking sapphire back, wings and tail; and the rust-red waistcoat, he's absolutely gorgeous. It's no wonder that everyone loves him. His mate is a little more plain, but still quite beautiful, especially considering that most female songbirds are very drab.

But bluebirds aren't just another pretty pair of wings. They are fierce little buggers when it comes to protecting their babies. And by fierce, I mean that they will attack things many times their own size. Like me.

I had the dubious pleasure of being attacked several times by a bluebird papa this summer, as I was keeping notes on a nest laid in our backyard bluebird house. The clutch of five eggs was avidly guarded by both parents, but it was the father who continually dive-bombed my head every time I got closer than ten feet away from his offspring. 

Which brings us to this video. Please excuse the poor quality due to my pathetic camera, and the somewhat questionable voiceover talents.

Update: my video has failed to load. I will continue in my attempts to put it up for your viewing pleasure. Please visit these sites to see additional examples of bluebird dive-bombing activity: Pussy Cat at the Blue Bird Cafe and Bluebird Attack on a Squirrel.

As you can see (and hear, from the swoosh of air), the bluebird was getting pretty close to me. I have my doubts that he would have actually accosted me physically, but he was doing his darnedest to scare me away.

If you listen closely, you can also hear some interesting clicks, sounding almost like sonar, which the bird is making as he flies towards me. I was very interested in these sounds, since they were separate from the usual "chips" - the warning call most songbirds use. I found an informal source that says it is produced by the birds clicking their beaks. Additionally, this bluebird enthusiast says that many bluebird pairs do not attempt to defend their nest. The few that do, like my dive-bombing friends, are more successful in nesting.

So, what's the moral of this tale? Well, not only are bluebirds beautiful, but they're also good parents (or some of them are, anyway). By threatening intruders that may harm their nest, as well as possible cuckolds (other species that may lay their eggs into another bird's nest), they increase their offspring's chances of survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment