Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Birthday Bird and Buttercream Frosting


I couldn't resist posting a picture of this adorable birthday cake that my mom and sister decorated for my birthday party a few weeks ago. I actually baked the cake, but they wouldn't let me decorate it myself. Even after more than 20 years, they still insist on decorating and surprising me with a cake every year - and I really don't mind at all. What can I say, I like cake! :)

Also, in case you were curious, "Didi" is a family nickname; it's what I used to call myself when I was very young.

Even though I don't have any more pictures, I'll give you the recipe for our delectable buttercream. I've tried several different recipes, and this one always takes the cake (pun intended!). One recipe is just about right to frost a double-layer 9 inch cake, but if you want to do a lot of decorating you might want to make 1 1/2 or 2 batches.


Best Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 cups confectioner's sugar
2-3 Tbl. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream together butter and shortening until well combined. Add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. The frosting should be thick and a little dry. Add a tablespoon of milk and beat on high until fluffy. If it is still dry, continue to add milk until it reaches a spreadable texture. Stir in vanilla.

If not using immediately, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. If it gets dry in storage, beat in a little more milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment